It’s not a secret that Facebook developers update their platform constantly. So privacy settings also keep changing, which cause confusion to Facebook users. Protecting, managing and securing your Facebook account is actually an important factor that every user should not take for granted. In modern world, with so many online threats waiting for you just around the corner it’s so easy to compromise your Facebook profile.
Don’t worry though. You can use several protection methods, one of which is Facebook Privacy Watcher. Read on to learn how to use it to secure your Facebook account.
What is Facebook Privacy Watcher?
It’s a Firefox add-on (also available for Google Chrome) that does a good job of managing and securing Facebook privacy. This little app has been developed at Center for Advanced Security Research Darmstadt (CASED) in association with TU Darmstadt (Technical University of Darmstadt), so it’s very secure and effective. It provides a very simple interface that will help users to manage privacy settings of their favorite social media site.
How does Facebook Privacy Watcher work?
Facebook has a very detailed system of privacy settings so it’s very important to keep an eye on them. Facebook Privacy Watcher allows users to choose the right audience for each Timeline update. You just slightly change the settings every time you feel like updating your profile.
The add-on highlights and marks with different colors all the information on your Timeline according to its visibility to your Facebook following. Using this simple tool, you can immediately check and see if the privacy settings for the particular update are okay or you may want to modify them.
Facebook Privacy Watcher installation
- First, launch Firefox and open your add-ons manager selecting Tools > Add-ons in the menu.
- Choose Get Add-ons tab and type the name of the Facebook Privacy Watcher add-on in the search field.
- Scroll down and click on See all results.
- In the new tab, choose Facebook Privacy Watcher and add it to your browser.
- Or you can visit the developers’ site and install the add-on from there. Note that, unlike with many other add-ons, you’re not required to restart the browser to activate the newly installed add-on.
- Once the installation is complete, you’ll see the add-on thank-you page.
- On the main toolbar of your browser, you will see new icon:
- Click Try it now! on the thank-you page and log into your Facebook account.
- Watch a short tutorial on how to use the add-on:
Facebook Privacy Watcher in use
When add-on is finished reading privacy settings of your Facebook profile, you’ll see different colors for your Timeline entries.
Default colors set for the visibility conditions and status of your Facebook update are listed below:
- Blue – The information of your profile is visible to some set of your Facebook friends.
- Red – Only you can see the information.
- Orange – Your information is visible only to your friends.
- Green – Your information is available to all Facebook users.
You can easily change each color via add-on settings. Simply click on the add-on icon on the toolbar and then select Settings.
Using Facebook Privacy Watcher, you can efficiently improve overall security of your Facebook profile.
Do you use any other tools to secure your Facebook page? Share them in comments below.